In times of change the ability to see innovative strategic options becomes critical for continued success. Leaders are divided into two groups: those flexible enough to embrace new perspectives (“outthinkers”) and those who work within old points of view (“thinkers”). The success of your company and your career depends to a great extent on your ability to shift your paradigm and inspire others to do the same.
This program draws on the study of hundreds of history’s most innovative strategic thinkers and competitive companies from Wal-Mart and GE to Google and Apple. It shows that businesses can unlock breakthrough growth when a team collaborates to make seemingly minor innovative choices – “fourth options.” These options make it difficult for competitors to respond effectively.
The Outthinker Program has participants work through seemingly simple strategic and innovation tools (IDEAS) to define a creative strategy:
1. Imagine: Explore key environmental and competitive factors, defining a longterm ideal vision, and agreeing on a clear strategic question
2. Dissect: Break down the problem you are trying to solve to find new points of leverage
3. Expand: Use “strategic narratives” and examples from other industries to inspire new, innovative potential strategies
4. Analyse: Rapidly select the most disruptive strategic options, avoiding the common pitfall of killing off “crazy” ideas too early
5. Sell: Wrap the resulting strategy in a compelling framework that builds support
Participants then deepen their skill by applying what they have learned to a real-life, immediate business challenge. By immediately practicing what they learn, participant build their comfort designing innovative strategies, begin thinking intuitively in ways that help them see breakthrough solutions to every-day business problems, and solve real time problems.